Segmentation Fault

Monday, February 20, 2006

Hey look, a BLOG!

Whoops!

Sorry for the lack of updates. Waaaah. Work. Waaaah. Training. Waaah. The usual excuses.

Training is going good. Running is going smashingly. I'm up to 80 miles this month, and will easily crack 100. Wooohoo! Decent swim and bike (trainer) volume too. And yoga. I've been going to a Pilates class for a little over a month now, and wow, it's good.

Now, for your enjoyment, here's my race report from the 10k I ran on Saturday. Try not to laugh too hard.

Hardest 10k

This was the hardest 10k I've ever run. To start with, it was about -5F plus a nice stiff wind. On top of that, it rained two days ago, before it dipped sub-zero. So the normally nice trails turned into bobsled tracks.

I ran about 10' to warm up, stretched, and then stood inside until just before the start.

Started on the road, then quickly moved into the woods along the running path. It was tough going, as footing was very sketchy. I near slipped a couple of times in the first mile. A couple people went down in front of me, from the ice.

At about mile 1.5 there was a rope climb up a steep little hill. The guy on the rope in front of me slipped backwards, and kicked me in the face. Ouch. I got a bloody nose, and a cut lip. Yay. :) I kept on going though, and passed him with a vengence. I was cruising along pretty decently until about the 3.5 mile mark.

I took a nasty spill on some glare ice, and hit the ground hard. I rolled twice and then slid off the path. Wheeee! Was slow getting back up, and felt like I might have tweaked my left knee and ankle.

At that point, I got pissed at the conditions ( ice everywhere ), and decided I didn't want to risk getting hurt any more than I was. I walked though a really icy section for about the next 10 minutes or so. At that point, I decided I wanted to get back to the finish, and I didn't want to walk the next 20 minutes.

So I took back off at slow pace, just taking it easy in zone1/2. Even at that pace, I fell two more times on the ice. Ow!

I finished as the clock said 1:02. Urgh. My slowest 10k ever. But at least it wasn't a DNF!

Oh, I almost forgot the best part. Thanks for the bloody nose and lip, I had bloodcicles hanging off my scruffy chin when I finished. I looked pretty scary before I got it cleaned up. Didn't have my camera as that woulda been a cool picture. Definitely one to remember.

2 Comments:

  • Wow, that puts things in perspective. I'm glad you were able to make the best of it and finish the race... and dare I say even "enjoy" it?!

    By Blogger klbarrus, at 8:35 AM  

  • Bloodcicles?? Eww! Sounds like hell but as you said, at least it wasn't a DNF. And, you are in my territory for finish times so welcome to the back of the pack! We are pretty nice folks.

    By Blogger Ultragrrl, at 10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home