Segmentation Fault

Monday, October 10, 2005

Answer: 4:08:52

Question: How long does it take me to run 26.2 miles?

I'm glad I got that one answered.

Obviously I finished it. And feel pretty darn good about it. When I first signed up oh so many months ago, my goals were "Finish" and "Finish under 5:00". I let myself get a little goal inflation by shooting for a sub 4 hour finish, but I very nearly managed to pull that off.

For the details oriented ( /me waves to Karl ) here's the chip splits:

START 8:03:39 AM CST
5K 00:28:42
10K 00:56:30
15K (MIA?)
20K 01:51:56
HALF 01:58:02
25K 02:20:14
30K 02:49:43
35K 03:20:10
40K 03:54:29
FINISH 04:08:52

My average HR was 156.

I was doing pretty good until about the 22 mile mark. People talk about hitting the wall around 17-20 miles. I was still feeling good at 20 miles, so I thought I was in the clear. Oh was I ever mistaken. At mile 22, someone swiped my legs, and replaced them with concrete blocks. Every step from that point on was an exercise in not stopping. It took just about everything I had not to walk, but I kept on plugging along.

Finally, with about a 1/2 mile to go, the crowd was just monstrous. People packed as deep as I could see lining the course. The energy was incredible. I forgot how badly I hurt. I got a huge ass smile on my face. I think I even got a little emotional. Took the one last little uphill, and made the final turn into the park. I could see the finish now. Legs started to work again a little, and I finished strong.

Once past the finish, it was crazy. Got my space blanket, finisher's medal, finisher's picture, some food and water and managed to keep moving. Legs wanted very badly to seize up and not move another step. They didn't, and I eventually got my gear bag back, and made my way home.

The day after the race, today, is an entirely different story. It hurts so much to walk down stairs. I have to go backwards. Getting in and out of the car is quite a task. I'm really hoping my legs get better before Thursday, or my vacation is going to be really interesting.

Next stop, Kona!

5 Comments:

  • Great race! And thanks for the stats, I can rest easier now. ;)

    I see what you mean about those last few miles being so difficult - going the last 2.2 K in nearly 50 minutes, you must have been in survival mode. Still, that is a great time, especially at your first marathon. Congrats!!

    By Blogger klbarrus, at 2:51 PM  

  • Wow, I'm the first to the post!

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

    Oops, I put bolding in, and Karl beat me!

    By Blogger Gail at Large, at 2:52 PM  

  • oops! I transposed the stats. It didn't take me 50 min to go 2.2k. I was hurtin' but not that bad. :)

    I corrected the numbers above.

    By Blogger Chris Parker, at 3:06 PM  

  • Rock in with your bad self! Way to go!

    By Blogger Krisanne, at 4:00 PM  

  • You are allowed to get emotional at the end of experiences like these. Pushing yourself farther than you though you could is an experince that is hard to describe. Good for you for knocking off another goal!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home